Sunday, August 2, 2009

What counts as meditation time?


With apologies to David Letterman and his Top Ten list: Here are the top ten reasons to start meditating, courtesy of the blog beliefnet.com. I would also expand this to include all those who have been meditating and have stopped, and those that don't meditate everyday. In other words, many of us.

What this list doesn't do is define what counts as meditation. Many of us think of it as sitting on a cushion in the lotus position with incense burning, but is that the only way? When we think of it as strictly a solitary practice earmarked for 30 plus minutes a day, then often we set ourselves up to failure.

Life's moments always throw us off the path: an injury or illness, working overtime, making too many commitments and on and on and on. Does following our breath when we take a short walk or eating mindfully at meal time count as meditating? Does meditating for five minutes at my desk or following my breath while stuck in traffic count? I say, why not?

Although it is great when formal time is put aside everyday, not being able to do that is not a call to be angry or disappointed in myself. That fosters self hatred.

If I'm pulled away from the cushion because a loved one is sick and needs constant attention than that is my meditation. Caring for someone while being in the present moment cultivates the wisdom of compassion through selflessness. Conversely, working more hours than I care to because I don't want to lose my job is a moment of selflessness to help my employer stay in business supports me and everyone else I work with who needs their paycheck to care for their family.

It's easy to forget that meditating is multi dimensional, it's not necessarily a fixed period of time once per day. It is about staying in the present moment all day, not just when I sit down with my eyes closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment