Friday, June 26, 2009

I Am Reminded Why I Do Not Eat Meat


by a TGN member forwarded by Bhante Sathi
I was driving home today after a long week of tending my husband in the hospital. I saw movement on the road ahead and noticed a raccoon running frantically back and forth from the edge of the road to the middle of the road. As I drove closer I could see why. Her three little kits had been hit by a car. For a moment, all appeared flattened and dead.
She saw my approaching car (now greatly slowed down) and ran to safety in the ditch…then, looking at me, came running back to one of her babies. Now I saw something else as I got closer. The third kit was trying to right itself, pulling its shoulders up, supported by tiny front paws. This baby raccoon was alive, although its back end was run over. I have seen a dog in this condition and knew there was nothing I could do – although for a moment my heart felt very sore: should I try to capture it? No…I knew there was little hope.
The mother faced my car, frightened and purposeful at the same time. I drove past carefully wondering briefly what can I do, what can I do and then I knew: I stopped a bit further on to send Meta: May you be well, little one, may you be free from suffering, May you be at peace and at ease. I give you merits. Be at peace and at ease.
At least it felt like I was doing something. When I drove back in to town later, the third baby was missing from the road. I am sure that the mother picked it up and carried it off into the woods. It was a simple act, but tender. The mother had been ready to take on a car, frightened yet determined to save her remaining child.
Yet, as with all beings, she wanted to live…which is why she rushed back and forth out of harms way. The injured baby wanted to live…which is why it raised its little head off the roadway and attempted to pull itself upright.
This is why I do not eat meat. Every animal wants to live. It will run away from harm. Every animal has a mother who would sacrifice much, perhaps her life, to save the life of that child. When I look at a cow I remember the mother Angus who took my uncle down and stomped him into the ground because he came too close to her calf. Perhaps some people would hate the cow for that, but I saw her act as bravery, to go up against the all-powerful “human gods” to protect the calf you love. She took a great risk, and in the end, that risk of protecting her calf cost her her own life. For some, “love” may be too strong a word to associate with animals. But I am reminded, today, that I am not so separate from the animals who are not human, and why I do not eat meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment